The Agent is Suspect. No Response within the last 10 Minutes
Paul Kleynhans
2003-11-08 23:49:21 UTC
Hi
I am running Merge Replication, using Named Pull subscriptions over FTP
between our clients and a central server. This process works fine as long as
small amounts of data change between all databases (Les than 1000 changes
between merges).

The problem is that I have 38000 data changes that I have to implement on
the central server. The moment I do this, all my replications fail with the
error "The Agent is suspect. No response within the last 10 minutes". Our
clients use a range of access methods like Dialup over Telephone, ISDN and
ADSL. All of these machines fail to replicate after about 15 minutes of
activity. (The subscription side does not give an error, in fact it still
says "Retrieving Subscription Information" when the server side already
times out.)

I have done the following to try and remedy the situation, but to no avail:
1. Adjusted the Agent profile as follows: - BcpBatchsize = 10 000 (was 100
000)
-
KeepaliveMessageInterval = 30 (was 300
- LoginTimeout
= 300 (was 15)
-
MaxDownloadChanges=2000 (was 0)
-
MaxUploadChanges = 2000 (was 0)
- QueryTimeout
= 600 (was 300)

I think what is happening is that the subscriber is stil interpreting data
received from the Publisher while the timeout occurs (Some of the tables
contain 150 000 and more records), but I have no idea where to adjust the 10
minute timeout to be more. What worries me more is the fact that the
subscriber never gets informed of the timeout and as such, the application
doing the replication effectively hangs, waiting for a response from the
publisher that never comes.

Once again, any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards
Sri
2003-11-11 10:17:08 UTC
You can set ths time in Replication monitor. Open replicationmonitor->
Refresh rate and setting. In genneral tab, increase inactivity threshold
value. This will solve your problem.
Let me know whether this works or not.

Sri
Regards
Paul Kleynhans
2003-11-12 09:24:36 UTC
I changed the settings and it seems to have worked... Thanks.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that even though the server side
marked the agent as suspect, the client side kept synchronising. The only
problem occurs when the client wants to complete synchronisation and it
discovers it has been marked inactive. When this happens, the replication
terminates with an error, but all changes have already been replicated,
which means that the next replication is quite fast as no changes need to be
replicated again...
Post by Paul Kleynhans
Hi
I am running Merge Replication, using Named Pull subscriptions over FTP
between our clients and a central server. This process works fine as
long
Post by Sri
as
Post by Paul Kleynhans
error "The Agent is suspect. No response within the last 10 minutes". Our
clients use a range of access methods like Dialup over Telephone, ISDN and
ADSL. All of these machines fail to replicate after about 15 minutes of
activity. (The subscription side does not give an error, in fact it still
says "Retrieving Subscription Information" when the server side already
times out.)
I have done the following to try and remedy the situation, but to no
1. Adjusted the Agent profile as follows: - BcpBatchsize = 10 000 (was 100
000)
-
KeepaliveMessageInterval = 30 (was 300
-
LoginTimeout
Post by Paul Kleynhans
= 300 (was 15)
-
Post by Paul Kleynhans
= 600 (was 300)
I think what is happening is that the subscriber is stil interpreting data
received from the Publisher while the timeout occurs (Some of the tables
contain 150 000 and more records), but I have no idea where to adjust
the
Post by Sri
10
Regards
Nial
2010-08-02 23:59:46 UTC
Sri, That is great advice. Can you tell me how the same thing is accomplished in SQL 2005. I am having the same problem but am working with 2005 not 2000 and I can't find the inactivity threshold anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/114_2003_11_0_0_443381/The-Agent-is-Suspect-No-Response-within-the-last-10-Minutes.ht

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Group
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/