Mirroring with Witness
M.McDanold
2006-08-09 21:52:45 UTC
I am having trouble setting up database mirroring with a witness. Setting up
mirroring without a witness is working fine. But when I try to set up a
witness, using either the Wizard or direct T-SQL, error 1456 appears, “The
alter database command could not be sent to remote server
TCP://MyFileServer.abcde.local:5022”

Server A and Server B are running SQL Server 2005 Enterprise ed.
Server C is an installation of SQL Express running on a remote file server.

All 3 SQL Server servers run in the same domain and the endpoints have been
set up and connection permissions granted.

Querying the sys.database_mirroring_endpoints on each server yields these
results:

Server EndPoint Role ConnAuthority
Encrpt?

Server A Started Partner Negotiate
No
Server B Started All Negotiate
No
Server C Started Witness Negotiate
Yes

I have used command prompt “netstat –abn” to confirm that the witness is
listening on the designated port (and no other processes are using that port).

So everything I can check looks OK, but I can’t get the mirroring to start.

Any ideas?
Michael Hotek
2006-08-11 21:13:26 UTC
Open the Surface Area Configuration Manager and connect to the SQL Express
Edition. By default Express Edition is set to local only connections. You
need to change it to local and remote connections. Then you will be able to
connect to it and configure it as a witness.
--
Mike Hotek
MHS Enterprises, Inc
Any ideas?
M.McDanold
2006-08-28 17:04:02 UTC
Hi Mike,

I appreciate your comments back to me. Unfortunately we had already tried
what you suggested. As it turns out the solution for us was to change the
default end-point port of 5022 to something else and it worked just fine.
I'm not sure why MS did not document this and suggest changing it. Again,
many thanks for replying to my post.

Mat
Any ideas?
Ross Grant
2010-05-26 14:59:29 UTC
I too had this problem and I have spent many frustrating hours trying all the various fixes I found on the numerous blogs on this topic. Thankfully changing the end point port as suggested by Mat resolved the issue

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/114_2006_8_0_0_802964/Mirroring-with-Witness.ht

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Group
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/